M-SPAN (Military Support Programs and Networks)
M-SPAN programs include innovative approaches to overcoming stigma and reducing isolation, advancing strategies for community outreach, increasing capacity through training community practitioners, and the development and implementation of evidence-based programs that can be replicated nationally. Our faculty has special expertise in peer programs; early childhood interventions; and interventions to support resilience in spouses and families.
M-SPAN includes five flagship programs:
- Buddy-to-Buddy: Outreach, support, and linkage to resources for service members and veterans
- Peer Advisors for Veteran Education (PAVE): Outreach, peer support, and linkage to resources for student veterans returning to college on the Post 9-11 GI Bill
- Strong Military Families: Parenting skills and support for military and veteran families with young children
- HomeFront Strong: Resiliency and positive coping skills for military and veteran spouses and partners
- After Her Service: Resiliency skills and professional development for Post-9/11 female veterans
Each of these programs incorporates an evaluation component to measure program effectiveness and impact of services. Each program also has a training and dissemination plan to expand the reach of services regionally and nationally, along with a technical assistance model to support implementation.
M-SPAN has been generously funded through private foundations, federal grants, and individual donors with special appreciation to the Berman Research Fund; Bob Woodruff Foundation; Bristol-Myers Squibb Foundation; Cinnaire; Craig and Sue Sincock, and the Avfuel Corporation; Ethel & James Flinn Foundation; Fraternal Order of Eagles; Judy and Fred Wilpon Family Foundation; Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency; Moscow Family Foundation; National Institutes of Health; Rachel Upjohn Clinical Scholars Fund; Todd Ouida Children’s Foundation; U.S. Department of Defense; U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs; Welcome Back Veterans, with Major League Baseball Charities and the Robert R. McCormick Foundation; and Wins for Warriors.
The M-SPAN team is honored to do this work on behalf of the men and women who serve our country along with their families.
For more information about M-SPAN, please visit the M-SPAN website.